Week 33 - Leaving Guyane in the Rearview Mirror (of the airplane?)

Hi friends!! This was was a russian mountain if I've ever seen one. (lol the french word for roller coaster is montagne russe which literally means russian mountain).

It started off with a bit of sad news. We received a call on Tuesday morning with an update from President Fisher, that Frère Moise's body had been found in the river earlier that morning by the firemen. It of course was very, very sad news and it devestated me. But, I had been praying to at least have answers about him, so I'm thankful to be able to have some closure. In addition to that, his wife is now hospitalized. She's 6 months pregnant and began having contractions. So for now, her young daughter is staying with another member while Soeur Moise is being taken care of in the hospital. I'm thankful that she'll at least be in good care and that her needs will be met physically.

Even though the week started off hard in that way, Haevenly Father truly blessed Soeur Morrell and I with some wonderful new friends and a renewed energy for missionary work.

On Wednesday, we saw our friend Fransisco from Chile at sports! He brought us some more mangoes (and more mangoes AGAIN a few days later!!). We also tried some coconut water from the coconut he gave us last week. I dont know if I'd willingly drink it again, at least right from the coconut, but it was SO cool. Anyways, he's progressing very well. HE keeps daily contact with US, which is golden because sometimes it's hard to stay in touch with our friends every day! 

On Thursday, we discovered a new part of our area I'd never been in before. It's a beautiful hill that overlooks the ocean!! We had fun contacting there. We had another great lesson with Marcuo as well, he's a man from Brazil. We worked with Raena, and the lesson was full of the spirit. We talked about the Plan of Salvation and Marcuo was really touched by it. His light also flickered out during the lesson, it was like a rave for a minute so we had a short dance party, then had the rest of the lesson by flashlight hahaha.

Friday was soo good, we had an AWESOME time contacting in Mont Lucas (the poppin apartment complex I mentioned a couple months ago). We met some REALLY cool people, almost every person wanted to learn more about the Gospel! We also had a little dog following us around that afternoon in another apartment complex. That was cute and another fun tender mercy from Heavenly Father.

Saturday was wonderful because we had a mission conference through video call!! We heard from our assistants, mission president and his wife, one of the Barbados sister training leaders, Elder Tice (one of the office missionaries), and a young married couple that both served missions. It was super spiritually uplifting! We got the exciting news that St. Vincent, an island in our mission, will be forming a new district (equivalent to a stake). So that was SUPER exciting and a testimony to me that the work is moving forward here in the Caribbean!!
Also found out that Elder Kerr, my very first district leader, was called as an Assistant to the President. That was a KERR-veball!!!! (yes I basically just included that piece of information because of that clever joke).

On Saturday night we received some WILD news!!! We found out that both Soeur Morrell and I will be transferred. Our area will be taken over by the zone leaders for a transfer, and sisters will be taken out of Guyane!! They'll probably be back again by next transfer when 2 new sisters come.
The news that I was being transferred didn't shock me too much since I have been in Guyane for a long time!! But I am really sad to leave. I've come to love it with all my heart here, so the last couple days have been a bit emotional for me. Lots of lasts. But, I really am so excited to serve in Guadeloupe. It's an amazing island where the work is really moving forward!! I'll be serving in Abymes, in a TRIO!! With Soeur Johnson (who started off speaking English then came to speak French just 2 transfers ago), and Soeur Hamner. They're both SOO nice and loving, I'm SO EXCITED to serve with them!! I know we'll see lots of amazing things in Guadeloupe!
President Fisher also told us he was excited for us to be there, because a member of the 70 will be in Guadeloupe in February to have a conference just with Guadeloupe missionaries. He wanted us to be there for that, and I'm really looking forward to it!!

Yesterday was insane, as it was my last Sunday is Guyane!! I had to say goodbye to soo many people I've come to love SO much. I have so many pictures and honestly probably wont be able to upload them all in time. I also had the opportunity to talk for a few minutes in sacrament meeting about the Plan of Salvation. I loved having that chance!!

I'd better wrap this up, but there ya go, that was basically my week!! A crazy one, and next week will be even wilder! We get to Guadeloupe on Wednesday, so I'll have lots to update you all on :)

Have a wonderful, happy week!! Stay warm (hehehe) ;)

Love, 
Soeur Gardner 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pre-mission preparations

Week 36 - Salut!!

Week 78 - Heeeeyyy, white people!! WHITE PEOPLE!!! WHIIITTEE!!