Week 31 - I Never Knew I Was a Sinner









This was quite the week!! First of all, 2018 is behind us and we've begun a new year. Our new year started off in an interesting way, with the zone leaders calling us right after midnight to say Happy New Year when we were fast asleep in the middle of wonderful dreams.... I'm pretty sure the words "I'm gonna kill them....." were muttered out of my mouth haha. To make it even better, when we walked in later that day for District Council, the Elders had put the tiniest primary kid chairs in our spots. We sat in them the whole time just to show them how strong sisters are haha. But, long story short, the Elders have been pushin our buttons a little this week! 


On Tuesday as well we were talking to a man, we talked about modern prophets and he very passionately disagreed with is about that. That alone isn't abnormal at all and I'm used to dealing with that, but THEN he started talking about how any woman who wears pants doesn not believe in God. Also any women that wear makeup, do their hair too fancy, have tattoos, etc (he went on and on) can not possibly believe in God. Hahaha luckily I was wearing a dress and not my dress slacks!! This story is where the email title gets its name from haha :)

Wednesday was a pretty fun and normal day. We had a pretty good lesson that mornin with someone who is related to a member (yaayy!!) and had a lesson with Rose. Rose is an AWESOME Haitain woman with at least 5 kids and one on the way. Her youngest (besides the one she's pregnant with haha) is 3 years old, but I swear she is really 16 at heart. She is HILARIOUS. During the lessons she tries to gossip with us, teach us how to read, show us her dresses and shoes, do our hair... and when Rose tells her to quiet down, she goes, "But moomm!! I'm talking to my sistas, my guuurlfrands!!!" (she says it in french but that basically the english equivalent haha). Rose is progressing well though and wants to be baptized as well! It's hard for her to get to church and the pregnancy really fatigues her, but hopefully things will be able to move along!!

Thursday was a good day, not a whole lot to update on-- we had some good lessons and did weekly planning. We saw Christophe as well, he's as funny and spunky as ever :)

Friday was AMAZING because we had an INCREDIBLE lesson with the MOST BEAUTIFUL family you can imagine!! I can't remember if I mentioned this in last week's email, but their oldest son has been apparently experiencing weird things with unwanted spirits. Last week the Elders came with us to give him a priesthood blessing. The spirit was so strong in their home and Soeur Morrell both felt a huge feeling that we NEEDED to teach this family. So on Friday we had a lesson, and it truly was one of the most spiritual lessons and experiences I've had. As I was talking about Joseph Smith's first vision, I felt a warm and happy feeling so strongly in my heart, testifying clearly and undeniably that the words I was saying were true. The mother, Angelita, said she felt the same thing. 
She accepted to be baptized January 26th and hopefully all 3 of her older children will follow in her footsteps as well!!

Saturday we cleaned the chapel with the Elders and did contacting in a nice neighborhood. We met some actually REALLY cool French people, none of them were very interested but one of them did let us sit down and explain to her a little our beliefs, and leave her with a brochure. It was AWESOME because generally the feeling is that French people aren't as open... but I think Heavenly Father is trying to change our minds and open our hearts to them more.
I gotta be honest though, the afternoon before we went to that neighborhood was SOO rough. I was just not in a happy mood for some reason and felt like Satan was really trying to drag me down. But Heavenly Father placed three things on my path that were completely tailored to me and what would make me happy.


  1. Two SUPER cute little boys that we had a nice long conversation with, about how one of them apparently is 58 years old and plays soccer for France (he's really 5). His brother, who is 3, is supposedly a doctor.
  1. Lots of SUPER cute and happy dog friends!!
  1. Our friend called us (someone who hasn't been to church for months because she was offended by something), and she told us that she wants to return to church the next day!! That was the HUGEST miracle for me and something I'd been praying for for sooo long!!


So there you go, I can truly say that Heavenly Father knows me personally and what things well put a lot more pep in my step!!

Yesterday, Sunday, was my very first time experiencing 2 hour church. I looovveed it, especially the way the Come Follow Me lessons were organized and run!! I felt the spirit so strongly and feel like this change really was brought about by Heavenly Father, to make church into even more of a place where we can discuss the Gospel and all learn from each other.

This morning we went on a hike and saw monkeys!!

And I think that about wraps up the week! Hope you all had a happy new year and that you'll have health, happiness, and growth this year!

Love,
Soeur Gardner

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pre-mission preparations

Week 36 - Salut!!

Week 78 - Heeeeyyy, white people!! WHITE PEOPLE!!! WHIIITTEE!!