Week 14 - A Crazy Week (Like Every Week!)








This week has been an amazing one for me!! I've got lots of funny stories to tell you all!!

-So on Tuesday, the mission president, Pres. Fisher came to visit us here in French Guiana! It was great to see him and talk to him. He gave me a lot of advice and support that really gave me the determination to press forward. He talked a lot about how the Lord qualifies who He calls, which really helped me. I often feel like I dont have all the skills or capacity I need to really fulfill my calling here as a missionary. I stress myself out over everything we have to do! And with Soeur Krucher going home in one week, I'll likely get a new companion and will kind of lead the area here. So there's a lot of pressure on me, it feels like! But I know that I can accomplish impossible tasks with the help of God. I'm thankful for President Fisher, for his love and concern for us, and for the great counsel he's given me!

-On Wednesday, Soeur Krucher and I flew to Guadeloupe for exchanges! Except we had a layover in Martinique, and as the plane left for Gwada, things REALLY didnt sound good haha!! The plane made a couple loops around the island until an announcement came on that the plane motor had broken and that we had to land again!! We ended up being stuck in the airport almost all day. The flight line kindly gave us a free meal for the inconvenience, and while we were eating some guy came up and offered to buy us drinks? Haha, it was really awkward in the moment but pretty funny now. We just told him we had a plane to catch, sorry!! hahaha

-On Thursday I got to see what life is like in Guadeloupe! It is SO beautiful there- really breath taking views, gorgeous flowers, lots of green trees-- I know I REALLY got lucky with my mission call haha! Despite being on a tropical island, though, we work HARD! We talked to people all day and didn't have a whole lot of success, but we enjoyed ourselves anyway! I got to meet two new sisters, and I LOVE them!! I've now met all the sisters on the French side of the mission haha! Once Soeur Krucher goes home there will be just 6 of us! 

-One interesting experience in Gwada: We were talking to a woman outside of her home, when the neighbors started yelling at each other and physically fighting!! The woman luckily invited us to come inside her home so we'd be safe. It was a little scary and police arrived a few minutes later-- luckily I didnt see much of what happened and couldnt really understand because they were talking so fast, but it sounds like it wasnt a very pretty sight. I'm really grateful for the sweet woman who kept us safe!!

-A few minutes later, we stopped to talk to three men sitting on their porch. I got a weird feeling right away. I introduced us as missionaries, and one of them said that he's on a mission too, to protect others. Then another one of them started arguing with us about religion in general, how we know something is true without having proof. We read a scripture in Alma 32 about faith, and he demanded to see a picture of Alma so he could know he existed. As I tried to resolve this, the other man went up to the sister I was with and just pulled her in and tried to kiss her!! Needless to say we got outta there QUICK haha! 

-The rest of that day mostly went pretty normal-- we met a few other quirky people, and it was just a funny day haha :) I tried my first Bokit, which is a really good food just found in Guadeloupe, I think! Its fried dough with a savory filling inside-- I got chicken and creole sauce, but theres lots of options! It was SUPER good!!

-On Saturday (back in Guyana), there was another baptism!! The woman's name is Guerlyndia, she is AWESOME! She was also taught by the Elders. I have a couple pics with her!! I also took a picture with Soeur Sabatinie (shes in the yellow and green dress), shes an amazing member who works with us a LOT and is preparing to serve a mission!! I really love her!!

-Sunday was a good day too, a member, Soeur Virginie, had us over for dinner (banana pesée, i Included a picture). She also gave me a skirt a couple weeks ago, so we took some pictures of her with me wearing her skirt! 
Also have some more pictures with a few other amazing members, like Soeur Bayan and Soeur Rosalie!

All in all, this week was a crazy one, and things arent slowing down yet!! This week is Soeur Krucher's last week, and then I will fly to Martinique for a couple days until I get a new companion! I'm not sure if my P Day will be on Monday next week because thats when we're traveling, so dont be worried if you dont hear from me the usual time :)

I'm loving missionary work more and more every day. Being here has grown my appreciation for the Gospel SO much. Seeing how much the Gospel can change people's lives has been amazing. Even though many of the people we teach don't progress to baptism, I can see how the message of the restored Gospel brings them more joy and peace. I have a front row seat to seeing THE greatest miracle of all time in action-- the Atonement of Jesus Christ. I love this Gospel with all my heart, and I testify that it is true!

Have a miraculous week, and remember the Savior! :)
Love ya all! Bisous!!!!
Soeur Gardner

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pre-mission preparations

Week 36 - Salut!!

Week 78 - Heeeeyyy, white people!! WHITE PEOPLE!!! WHIIITTEE!!